Sambar with Beet Greens

This will be the last South Indian dish for sometime now. You see, I go through these phases where I feel a craving for one kind of cuisine and then after a few dishes, I move on to the next. I have been doing South Indian for few weeks now, so it's time to move on.

Sambar is synonymous with Southern India. There is no fixed recipe, every southern state has it's own version and I am told that every family has their own special recipe. So, if you are looking for a fixed way to prepare this dish, I don't think you will find one. For me, I cook it differently every time as well, depending on which spices and vegetables I have at hand. Last night I had some beet greens, carrots, and cauliflower. You can use green beans, baby eggplants, okra, radish, pumpkin, potatoes, tomatoes, shallots, etc.

The fundamental ingredients are yellow Toor Dal and tamarind. The basic technique is to cook the dal and the vegetables separately, then mix them. You can choose to make your own sambar powder, there are several good recipes here and here. I use ready made store bought powder and it comes out pretty well. Some of my South Indian friends get spice mixes specially made for them by their family back home and sent to them. Now, that's a luxury, isn't it?! Finally, of course, there is the chaunk (popu) where curry leaves are a must.

Sambar with Beet Greens


Salt
Cauliflower
Carrots
Beet Greens
Onion
Tamarind paste made fresh, or store bought
Black or Brown mustard seeds
Asafoetida, Pinch
Cilantro / coriander leaves

1.  Wash dal till the water runs clear. Pressure cook for five minutes with turmeric and salt.
2.  Wash and dice vegetables. Boil with tamarind paste, salt, and sambar powder.
3.  Mix 1. and 2. We boil the vegetables separately since cooking time for the vegetables and dal are different. Also, we want the tamarind taste to infiltrate the vegetables. I tend to pressure cook vegetables as well, it not only takes less time and energy, it also keeps the shape. We want the vegetables to be soft but not mashed. They should melt in the mouth yet be firm enough to bite into.
4.  In another small pan or a tadka spoon, heat oil to smoking point.  Add a pinch of asafoetida, then add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chilies, and curry leaves. This is called Chaunk, or Poppu, or Tadka.
5. Add the the Tadka to the dal and vegetable mix. Serve with Rice, Idli, Dosa, or anything else you desire to eat it with! 


Sambar with Beet Greens

Last night I just has a big bowl full of Sambar for dinner - it's spicy, it's very low fat, it's nourishing with veggies and dal (protein). What else do you need?

Comments