Lamb Tagine with Prunes

We have been planning this party for quite some time and I have been dreaming of cooking an elaborate Moroccan meal for my friends. But my life took a nose dive early last week, I was not sure if I could make it, I was very sad and depressed. Somehow I managed to bob up on Friday and said to myself - What the heck! Why should I suffer? I have such beautiful friends, I will cook for it makes me happy, and I shall extract as much joy I can out of this!
So, here is the the Lamb Tagine with Prunes that I made yesterday. This was the first time I made it and I was very happy how it turned out.

Lamb Tagine with Prunes

Ingredients
2 lbs lamb, cut into large chunky pieces (ground lamb is OK too)
1 large onion, ½ head garlic, 1-inch ginger – finely chopped or grated
Half bunch cilantro, chopped
½ teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon curry powder – your choice (I used a mixture of cumin, coriander, garam masala, all spice, and some fennel, all powders)
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups water
½ lb prunes
2 tablespoons brown sugar (or honey)
½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
Garnish: Handful of toasted almonds

Method

  1. Heat olive oil in a skillet and fry the onion-ginger-garlic mix till soft and starting to turn golden.
  2. Add the spices (salt, turmeric, curry powder) and stir well till the mixture is well coated.
  3. Add the meat and black pepper. Fry well till the meat is no longer pink.
  4. Mix in the cilantro. Add water.
  5. Transfer to the pressure cooker and cook till the steam builds up and cooks for at least ten minutes (for ground meat) and 45 minutes (for meat chunks). Alternately, transfer to a tagine and let simmer for 2+ hours. At the end the meat should be very tender. Add water to tagine if you need to make sure the meat does not get burnt.
  6. Take out ½ cup of the meat liquid and set aside. 
  7. Simmer uncovered the rest till the meat is somewhat moist but not dry or drowning in sauce. 
  8. Put the prunes in a small pot and cover with water. Simmer until the prunes are tender. Drain the liquid and the reserve from the meat sauce. Add sugar/honey and cinnamon and simmer for ten minutes. The prune syrup has to be nice and thick.
  9. To serve, put the meat in the platter, then spoon the prune syrup on top. Garnish with the toasted almonds.

Comments