Chicken Liver Stirfry

I have not been very active or creative in the kitchen lately. I have been busy with work and often times did not have time or energy at the end of the day. I bought food or made do with store bought bad food. It's not too good for my girth, I know. But life is not always in balance, and when it is not, I have learned to just let it be and not stress about it. So, this Thursday evening, after a few long meetings, I happened to be by a Korean Supermarket and thought I should just do some grocery shopping. I bought few regular items, and some chicken livers! It has been ages since I had some good chicken livers, my ex did not particularly like them so I didn't used to make them often. I don't know why, it has been over 18 months since he's gone but I still don't make them. Ha! Old habits die hard!

Chicken Liver Stirfry
Ingredients
Chicken Livers, about one pound, wash, remove the skins, cut into 1-inch pieces
Garlic, 5 large cloves, minced
Ginger, 1-inch, sliced and minced
Oyster Mushrooms, washed and sliced
Large Yellow Onion, 1/2, sliced
Red Jalapenos, de-seeded and sliced
Chinese chives, minced
Oyster Sauce
Pantai Chili paste in Soybean oil
Double black soy sauce
Kecap Manis
Soma's Kitchen Chili vinegar
Fish sauce
Palm Oil

Cooking
1. Heat oil in a wok or large pan. Add the livers, ginger and garlic.Stir well.
2. Add the sauces to your taste. I usually add a tablespoon of each. And then adjust to taste at the end.
3. Cook the livers till they are well cooked on the outside, but still soft. If you cook them too long, they get hard and rubbery and lose the texture inside.
4. Add the mushrooms, stir for a while. Then add the onions and red jalapenos.
5. Garnish with minced chives.
6. Serve warm with rice.

When working with the jalapenos and deseeding them, be careful. The heat of the chilies are in the membrane inside that the seeds attach to. Over the years I have learned that wearing gloves is the best for deseeding such chilies. I wear contact lenses and have had many a painful nights to know very well that the precautionary gloves are well worth. Cut the chilies sideways and it is easy to pry away the seeds and the lighter membrane. Then slice them longitudinally so that they look similar to the sliced onions. I like the double black soy sauce to the regular soy sauce available in the markets and highly recommend it for the flavor. Kecap manis is sweet, so no need to add any sugar. The chili paste has flavor, but no heat. All the heat in this dish comes from my chili vinegar and some remnant of the jalapenos. Oyster sauce gives it a very fine layer of flavor. Now, you may not have all these sauces in your kitchen, I will recommend that you improvise!

Comments