Doi Potol (Pointed Gourd in Yogurt sauce)

There has been a very personal egotistical reason why I have not liked Potol (pointed gourd) all my growing years. My mother and her sister was married on the same day, and my cousin and I were born within few months of each other. The two sisters decided to give each other's daughters a pet-name. (It is common to have pet name given by family members, and most of the time they are not very flattering.) My mother had given my cousin a very sweet name, she was older than me. Don't know why, but my aunt had jokingly (or with spite) named me "Potli". Unfortunately, this "Potli" name caught on with my entire maternal family and then spread on to the wider family and everyone started calling me "Potli". I used to hate it, and writhe in anger every time someone called me by that name. And the more I got angry, the more people teased me. Cousins would yell the name and then go hide behind their parents. People would refer to me by that name in their regular daily conversations. I was helpless to change it, and could not take revenge of any kind, so I took to hating the vegetable instead. Every time it was cooked, in whatever recipe, I'd refuse to eat it, and if by chance it happened to make its way into my mouth disguised in some curry form, I'd immediately throw up. 35+ years have gone by, I suppose I am mature now, and don't get as sentimental anymore. I have also learned to appreciate the delicate flavor of this unique vegetable in various delicious recipes. (By the way, don't you dare call me by that name, you will be unfriended for life!! I mean it!!)

I scored some very tender baby pointed gourds this time and there are about five different recipes I could make, I decided to try the spicy and sour lip-smacking Doi Potol. This is made with yogurt that gives it its sourness, and the red chili powder gives it a very prominent red color. The best version of this recipe is one that my paternal grandma (my Kamma) used to make. She and I share the love for all things sour and spicy. Our favorite afternoon snack used to be aalu kabli dripping with thick spicy tamarind paste, but that story is for another day. My Kamma's Doi Potol used to be more reddish than this one I made. I never watched her make it, but I think it is mostly because she used a particular variety of red chilies that was rich in color. She'd soak them in water and then grind them in a shil-nora with onion, ginger, and garlic. This have the masala mix a very distinct texture and in the curry a very distinct coloring to the oil. Unfortunately the modern kitchen does not have such a grinding instrument, we have to use a chopper/grinder and it is nothing comparable. In this recipe I just finely hand-chopped the onions, ginger, garlic, and used a bit of Kashmiri red chili powder for the color. The color is nowhere near Kamma's bright red, but the taste is very reminiscent. Spicy and Tangy!!

Doi Potol - while being cooked. Note the color.

Doi Potol - ready to be savored!
Ingredients
Potol - about 500 gms/1lb small sized. Ends cut off, cut into quarters longitudinally
Mustard oil - 2 TBsp
Whole Garam Masala - One large or two small Tej Pata, 3 to 4 cloves. one large cardamom broken without skin, 1-inch cinnamon stick broken in pieces
Onion - 1/2, finely diced
Ginger - 1/2-inch, finely diced
Garlic - 2 cloves, finely diced
Cumin powder - 1 Tsp
Kashmiri Chili powder - 1/2 Tsp, more if you want color and spice
Turmeric - 1/2 Tsp
Salt - to taste
Sugar - to taste
Plain Yogurt - 1 cup, beaten
Slit green chilies

Process
1. Heat oil in a wok. Add hing and let is blister for a while. Then add the whole garam masala and fry will oil is fragrant. The bay leaves will have started to brown.
2. Add the onions, ginger, garlic, and chili powder, turmeric, and cumin powder. Cook till the onions are translucent and the spice mix is fragrant.
3. Add the potol. Fry it in the masala till it is starting to turn a bit brown. 
4. Lower the flame to sim. Add the beaten yogurt, salt, and sugar. Mix well. Make sure all the potol is coated well with the yogurt and masala.
5. Add a bit of warm water, cover and let the dish simmer till the potol is done. Stir as needed to ensure even cooking.
6. Add slit green chilies before taking off the flame.
7. Serve with piping hot rice, as a middle course of the meal, right before proteins.

Notes
1. I bought fresh young potols, they were small and easy to cook. If you happen to get the large ones, which can be sometimes 3 to 4 inch long, then I suggest you cut them in quarters longitudinally. You may scrape out the seeds if you like. Some people find the seeds very large and crunchy and prefer to throw them away. Also, for the large potols, I recommend you score and lightly peel the skin. You do not have to take all the skin off, just portions of it, again longitudinally. The skin is quite tough and scoring and scraping some of it off helps cook the potol easily. 
2. Since I was using young tender potol, I did not pre-fry them. If you are using mature potol, I recommend you marinate them in turmeric and salt for a bit and then fry them separately. Set them aside. Then follow the masala recipe above and add the pre-fried potol when the recipe calls for.
3. Please use regular whole milk yogurt and not the non-fat or reduced fat kind. Not only does it affect the flavor, it also affects the consistency of the dish. If you want to reduce fat intake, do that in some other form, eat less chips or something. Do not skimp on the flavor or texture of this very unique and tasty dish.

Comments