Cumin Beef with Israeli Couscous

I am in a creative mood today. This is a nice lazy Saturday morning after a long time that I do not have a bunch of nagging items in the back of my mind with respect to work or household chores. I feel free and happy and so it is a perfect time to improvise some deliciousness!!

Today I saw a pound of ground beef in the fridge, and I had recently bought some toasted Israeli Couscous (pearl couscous). I was wondering how to make a dish that could combine them. We could do some kind of soup, after all it is getting a bit cooler these days. But I prefer something dry for taking to work as lunch next week.

For years I have enjoyed Cumin Lamb at Hunan/Schiuan/Chinese Halal restaurants. If it was on the menu, I always order it. I have never attempted to make it myself at home though. One day I will. Today I thought I would take that concept as inspiration and create a dish of my own. Here's the result.

Cumin Beef with Israeli Couscous


Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1 Tbsp Dark Soy sauce
3 Tsp cumin powder
2 Tsp tapioca powder
1 Tbsp Madeira
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp ground garlic
1 med onion, sliced and cut in half
1 Tbsp black pepper coarsely ground
1 Tbsp Schiuan peppers
2 Tbsp chili oil
2 Tbsp cumin seeds
1 cup Israeli Couscous
2 red chilies, sliced
mint sprigs

Method:

  1. Mix the beef with soy sauce, cumin powder, tapioca powder, and Madeira. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Roast cumin seeds till they are lightly browned and fragrant, and set aside.
  3. Heat chili oil in a wok. Add in ginger, garlic, and onions. Fry for a bit.
  4. Then add the marinated beef. Stirfry on high to cook the beef fast. Make sure they do not clump. keep separating the mix while stirfrying.
  5. Add the ground black pepper and Schiuan peppers. Add the couscous. Keep frying. Notice how the couscous absorbs all the juice from the beef and onions.
  6. Add about a coup of hot water. Still at high flame, keep frying.
  7. From time to time pick a couscous pearl and check if they are cooked al dente. If not, add little water at a time to help the couscous absorb the flavor and get cooked.
  8. Once the couscous seems to be cooked, fry some more till the beef is lightly browned. Also add in the roasted cumin seeds.
  9. Garnish with sliced red chilies and mint sprigs.
Notes:
I was very satisfied with the dish. Next time I make it, I will probably cut the onions smaller. But these gave a very mice caramelized flavor, so it was all right. Instead of mint, I will try cilantro next time, just to see if it goes better. I did not have cilantro in my kitchen this time. Also, I used Madeira because that was the only alcohol I had in my pantry. I might want to try this with a rice wine or soju next time, the flavor might turn out to be different. As I used Madeira, and it is sweet, I did not add any sugar. If I use a rice wine or soju, they are more pungent, so I anticipate I may need to sprinkle a bit of sugar. Soy sauce, especially the dark one, brings in enough salt for my taste. But others may want to add a bit more salt during frying. Cornstarch can be used instead of tapioca powder. I love the latter, I think it has a very unique flavor.

Comments

  1. Hi, I like your post really I have read first-time Thanks for sharing keep up the good work.


    Israeli Couscous

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment