Cinnamon French Toast and Shrimp and Avocado Omelet

We are going through Egg cookery and Breakfast recipes today. I love breakfast anytime! So this is in my kind of cooking day. Only trouble, if I eat it all tonight, my tummy might revolt at night with six eggs and so much carbs!!!

Few notes I think worth mentioning:

  • The sauce on the french toast is a black currant and blood orange reduction sauce I made few weeks back. It was runny enough to soak into the toast and had some of the preserved fruits to have a mouth feel.
  • We used heavy cream here for the French Toast. In the past I have always used milk when I made it. So, it was very interesting to note the texture of the egg mixture, that it was a tad bit concentrated than when we used milk.
  • Growing up in India, I did not have this sweet version of French Toast. I only had the savory version. The first time I had French Toast in IHop, I was so shocked to find it doused in powdered sugar and syrup and served with fruits. We had the French Toast made with an egg mix of minced shallots, garlic, ginger, and chilies. It was served with a dollop of Maggi Hot and Sweet Tomato Chili Sauce or ketchup.
  • I cooked to the recipe provided for my class and did not make any changes. The omelet was very delicious, but felt a bit bland. I would have liked a tad bit of acid in the shrimp mix, especially since we were mixing with avocado. I wonder how it would be if I had added a dash of Tajin before folding in the egg. The piquant sting of Tajin with avocado and cilantro might add an interesting note.


Here are the recipes:

Cinnamon French Toast

Beaten eggs                   3
Heavy Cream                2 fl oz
Salt                                to taste
Cinnamon, ground        to taste
Sourdough bread           3 slices, thickly sliced
clarified butter              as needed
powdered sugar            as needed

1. Whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, and cinnamon.
2. Put the eggs mix in a shallow pan. Place the slices of the bread in the egg mixture and let soak for 2 -3 minutes, turning them over after the first minute or so.
3. Cook the soaked slices in a lightly buttered preheated saute pan until well browned. Turn the slices and cook the second side till browned as well.
4. Cut each slice into two triangles.
5. Arrange the triangles on plate and top with powdered sugar and fruit/ sweet sauce of choice.

Shrimp and Avocado Omelet

Shrimp, peeled, deveined        3 oz
Green Onion, sliced                1 Tbsp
Clarified butter                        2 Tbsp
Eggs                                        3
Salt and pepper                        to taste
Avocado, peeled and diced      1/4th
Fresh cilantro                            2 Tsp

1. Cut shrimp into bite sized pieces.
2. Saute the shrimp and green onions in half of the butter until the shrimp is firm and pink, approximately takes two minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Heat an omelet pan and add the remaining butter.
4. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl, season with salt and pepper and pour into the omelet pan.
5. Stir the eggs as they cook. Stop when they begin to set. Lift the edges as the omelet cooks to allow the raw eggs to run underneath.
6. When the eggs are nearly set, add the shrimp filling, avocado, and cilantro. Fold the front of the eggs and roll the omelet onto a plate.

Comments