Vegetable Broth to Wholesome Soup

In summer of 2020, I decided to make good use of this Covid self-isolation and do some learning. So, I signed up for Culinary Arts and Sciences, a two semester program. Typically this course is held on campus at a proper commercial kitchen, but we had to do differently due to Covid. From Sept 2020 - January 2021, we went through a 1,200+ page book, with four lectures every week, two discussion items, two tests and a few more other assignments. It easily put about 16-20 hours of extra work on to my already packed schedule. But you know what, it was very good. It made me learn a few new things. I have been an intuitive cook, having learned everything I know by experimenting by myself. I did not have the opportunity to get formal training of any kind, so this course was really great.

Today I started my Culinary Arts and Sciences Semester II, and this is ALL cooking. Last semester was theory, and this semester we will be cooking three days a week! This entire program is focused on Western/ French style of cooking. While I feel I am reasonably good with Indian and some Thai, I like this opportunity to learn formally some French cooking. We are doing everything still at home. we do not have access to the commercial kitchen, and that is OK by me. I feel that if I can get the methods worked out, i can master it in any kitchen.

As this was our first class, we had a very simple assignment: Vegetable Broth.

At the Start of the process

At the End of the process

Clear caramel colored Vegetable Broth

Vegetables pureed into a wholesome soup

Recipe: Vegetable Broth

4 carrots, washed properly and then chopped (1-inch size)
1/2 head of celery, washed, chopped (1-inch size)
2 Large Onions, washed, chopped (1-inch size) - note, I kept the skins, discarded the ends
6 garlic cloves
1.5 inch ginger, chopped
1 Tsp Black Peppercorns
3 Bay Leaves
1 handful of Parsley
a few sprigs of Thyme
8 Cups of Cold Water

  • Gather all the ingredients, mise en place.
  • Put all the ingredients in to a large pot. Bring to boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Leave uncovered to simmer for about one hour.
  • Cool the broth, then strain the liquid.
  • If not using immediately, chill, and then freeze.

Notes

Store bought stocks have high sodium, even the ones that call out as low sodium have quite a bit of sodium. Here we made a stock with no salt. We can use this stock as a base in any dish and we can adjust the salt to our taste.  This broth is quite sweet tasting, because of the carrots.

Our formal recipe called for one leek and 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, but we did not have any. I chose not to add fresh tomatoes or pureed tomatoes either. But I did add ginger to get a zing. And I left the onion skins in the stock, it brought out a very beautiful caramel color to the broth.

Once the broth was strained out, I carefully removed the onion skins and bay leaves, and then pureed the leftover vegetables. Given that this is winter, a carrot-celery-onion soup is not bad for an accompaniment with lunch or dinner, or even as breakfast. Got to get those vegetables in! Just add a bit of salt and some butter and you have a cup of wholesome goodness in your hands!

Comments