Veggies n Red

I was inspired to create this dish during a recent visit to the supermarket when I saw a luscious Red Delicious apple sitting in the middle of a pile green Granny Smith apples. Those who know me will tell you how much I hate apples - I hate them with passion. I just can't stand them, even the smell of apples make me cringe. But then, inspiration can come from that too, only if I am not required to eat them!

Today's dish is vegetarian. In some parts of India even onions and garlic are considered non-vegetarian as they are used to cook meat. This dish does not have garlic or onions, it is 100% vegetarian in the true sense. It's very simple to make and is a take on the famous snack from my good old native city of Kolkata - the Vegetable Chawp. I taught the latter in our January class and felt like revisiting it with a twist.

Veggies n Red

Cauliflower, cut in large florets
Beets, cleaned and cut in half
Salt
Water
Walnuts or Peanuts, or cahews, unsalted
Raisins
Cumin seeds
Dry Red Chilies
Fresh Ginger, minced
1/2 tsp of oil
Salad Greens

1.  Boil cauliflower and beets in water with salt. I used the pressure cooker since it is quick. Drain and let it cool. Mash to a paste, some lumps are all right, but not larger than M&Ms.
2.  In a small dry (non oiled) pan roast cumin and dry red chilies till they splutter and start to turn brown. Grind them to a fine powder with a mortar and pestle. Your home will smell lovely with the aroma of roasted cumin.
3.  Heat the oil and add the minced ginger. Let it sweat a bit, do not let it turn brown.
4.  Add the mashed beets and cauliflower, spice powder, nuts, and raisins.
5.  Mix well and keep frying till the mix starts to dry up and you feel that you can clump it into little balls. This is a long process on medium heat. It takes at least 20-30 minutes if you want to do it right.
6.  Wash your salad greens, spin dry and set aside.
7.  Plate the beet-cauliflower mash in the center, and serve the salad around it.


Veggies n Red

This was dinner tonight. I loved how the cool greens contrasted with the warm mash in the middle. Its spicy and delicious and did you notice, it is non-fat too! Enjoy!

Comments